Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Vistaar Mein...


Where do I start!

My Aggie Adventures being on 31st May

Houston to College Station, was on my way

On a GroundShuttle with Kim, she’d big blue eyes

She air-guitared while I dozed quietly by her side


My place at Nagle, filthy beyond words

Can anyone live in such filth! I was bewildered!

Threw my bags aside, picked up a broom

Was sweeping away from room to room

Rinsed out the bathtub, mopped up the floor

(With a towel, whose owner I’m really sorry for)


Long disgusting hair all over the place

My dog doesn’t shed so much in his worst days!

Fungus on the air vents, fungus in the loo

Amazing— these women seemed dumb, and blind too!


Well that was that, I moved to pleasanter things

Thought would lift the mood with Beatles and everything

Needed to charge the laptop—but what do I find?

The stupid plug has too large a behind!


Oh well, moved out, thought would buy some eggs and bread

Wonderful familiar sunlight streaming over my head!

Looked along the sidewalks—and what do I see?

Beautiful yellow marigolds, sitting pretty, if you please!


Further on the wild flowers that grow near Nana’s place

Were looking just fabulous outside Citibank, in manicured grace.

And hopping along in the lush green grass nearby

A fat American squirrel was trying to catch my eye


She was following me, I swear! And stopped when I did

She guess all my tricks and would walk only when I did

By now I realized no grocery store was near

Looked up at Shell Gas Station, thought “We’ll try here!”


Uncle ji from Ludhiana was extremely nice

Offered to adopt me (avuncularly!), twice

I realized that a home run had just been hit

I could come to Uncle for eggs, or whatever shit!

(sorry, it rhymed, so thought was worth it)


Later I meet the charming son Lovely

What can I say, he is so lovely

Golden spikey hair and that adorable earring

Lovely Juneja really makes my heart sing :D


Said Sector 11 was his favourite haunt

Yeah, he probably went there often on his jaunts

Said “Kya Baat Hai!” when he heard my name

In my happiness I went insane :-D


I am kidding, so parents can chill

Lovely Bhaiya seems disgusting, pathetic, ill!

Uncle cycled all the way to some far off place for shopping

Came back pooped and sopping

With sweat, and then ceremoniously

Cut the wire of my laptop charger, exposed the wires three.


Other interesting stuff I’m trying to recall

Had promised Shweta a really good haul

Of pictures of lightning, a typical Texas sight

But the sound had been so scary that going out hadn’t seemed right :-s


I’ve been cooking, and walking, a lot, I’ll proudly proclaim!

I made egg bhurji and fried rice, and milk everyday!

My vague opinion about Aggies won’t stay the same

After I saw them have a blast at a baseball game!


They’ll heckle you and taunt you, they’ll jeer and shout

But they all know that sportsmanship is what it’s all about!

They’ll sing the Aggie Anthem, they’ll “saw off those Aussie horns!”

And spectators who move between innings are treated with utmost scorn!


Their strange hand signals are a tradition passed on

From generation to generation! Somehow they’ve lasted so long!

Three strikes and you’re out! The crowd stood

Signalling “Goin’ great guns!” and roaring “It makes me feel so good!”


The pitcher practices pitching and the crowd goes “Woooop! Pick it up!”

Following the ball’s trajectory

The ball’s struck out of the stadium, fingers go up, moments pass

Then the speakers oblige with the sound of breaking glass


2 strikes and 2 are out—the spectators rub their temples

The claps goad the pitcher on; caps are slammed against the benches

Hullabaloo Caneck Caneck, a really absurd song to sing

But it fits in so perfectly with the Aggies and everything!

4 comments:

Ye Pirate! said...

it's funny where all of you are spread out. I met this guy from A&M at Khardung La, he was wearing that same maroon sweat. Didn't get his name, but he said he'd look you up.

and ...uh don't the girls there watch that game? seems a mean crowd! just sayin'

the walker said...

mast mast mast...

Liar Goodspeed said...

o when will i have more than 2 minutes and a clean keyboard to comment with?
sigh.. july

TiNkEr BeLL said...

waaahh...after tintern abbey, this is the longest poem i've ever read!!!

:D

niiice!